About HHP Ambassadors
The HHP Ambassadors are a select group of students in the College of Health and Human Performance who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in academics and student leadership. These students represent the college at a variety of events, including alumni reunions, football tailgate parties at HHP. HHP Ambassadors also serve as hosts at the Dean’s House and other official college events, as well as provide tours of HHP to incoming students.
History of HHP Ambassadors
After seeing a need for a group of outstanding students to represent the college at a variety of alumni and college events, Michele Dye, former director of communications for HHP, founded the HHP Ambassadors in 2006. The first recruiting class had only four students, and now the organization has 19 members.
The HHP Ambassadors have expanded its agenda beyond serving as hosts at alumni events. They now organize workshops for students, sponsor community service projects, organize the Internship Fair, mentor first-year students and give tours of HHP to potential students and alumni. In the fall of 2009, the group is launching a collegewide mentor-mentee program, where selected HHP juniors will mentor new HHP students.
Being a HHP Ambassadors is the perfect opportunity for leadership, service, fun and friendship. The HHP Ambassadors represent the college at a variety of events, including alumni reunions, tailgate parties at HHP and UF Family Weekend. HHP Ambassadors also serve as hosts at the Dean’s House and other official college events, as well as provide tours of HHP to incoming students.
There are many leadership opportunities within this organization either as committee chairs or committee members.
Each fall HHP Ambassadors are recruited, and it is a highly selective process. To stay up-to-date on our recruitment activities, please read Gator Bytes.
- At least a 2.5 GPA. Preference will be given to students with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Preference to students who remain active for at least two semesters. Internship semester does not count.
- Attend all general meetings.
- Be able to work various functions on football weekends (Brunch at the Dean’s House, Tailgates, Reunions, HHP Graduation Reception, Scholarship Convocation, Spring Awards, Faculty Retirement events, and other special events).
- Be able to work at college events in the evenings and on the weekends.
- Remain in good academic standing with the University of Florida and the College of Health and Human Performance.
Applications can be downloaded here. No handwritten applications will be accepted. The application form is a Word document and designed to permit you to type on the form.
Order of documents:
- 250-word essay: This essay should address your career goals and how you plan to achieve them. What made you choose your future career? How is HHP helping you to meet your career goals? Typed, double-space, 12 point font, and 1” margins.
Place all required documents in a 9×12 manila envelope. The documents must be in the order as specified above. Please write your name legibly on the envelope.
Applications are due to FLG 200 by Friday September 9, 2011, at 4:30 p.m.
Recommendation Form: One recommendation form, available online must be completed by a HHP or UF professor, teaching assistant and/or or academic advisor, placed in a sealed envelope and signed on the back by the person providing the recommendation. This is NOT to be provided in your packet; it is to be delivered to FLG 200 by Friday September 9, 2011, at 4:30 p.m. by the person completing the recommendation form. It is your responsibility to ensure the recommendation form is submitted by this date and time, so please give your recommenders plenty of time to complete the form. Late applications will not be accepted.
Fall 2011 Recruitment
Applications Available: Monday August 22
Applications Due: Friday September 9 at 4:30 p.m. in FLG200
Review Applications: Monday September 12 @ 11:45 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. am in FLG200
Round 1 (Group Interview):
Tuesday September 13 from 5:30-6:30 in FLG 240 (Reading Room). Meet the Dean at this event.
Round 2 (Individual Interview):
Week of September 19
New Ambassadors Notified: September 26, 2011.
New Ambassadors will be required to attend the October 1 and November 5 HHP tailgates.