Common internship duties/responsibilities
APK offers two undergraduate specializations which require an internship:
Exercise Physiology: prepares students interested in pursuing a career in one of the health professions or graduate study in exercise science. The curriculum provides a strong basic science background and requires additional course work in the biological aspects of exercise.
Fitness/Wellness: prepares students to function as an exercise technician, exercise specialist, and/or wellness instructor in hospital, corporate, private, or governmental agencies. The curriculum emphasizes practical aspects of fitness and wellness.
Below are examples of common duties/responsibilities:
Fitness Wellness Setting
- Health risk appraisals
- Fitness testing
- Body composition analysis
- Blood glucose screening
- Behavior risk identification and modification
- Individual/group counseling in the following areas:
o Weight management
o Smoking Cessation
o Stress Management
- Plan and coordinate fitness classes
- Assistance/involvement in physical rehabilitation
- Design and produce (health) educational materials and media
- Instruct, motivate, safeguard and assist patients as they practice exercises and functional activities with various acute and chronic pathophysiologies (including Coronary Artery Disease, Pulmonary, Metabolic, Musculoskeletal, and Neurological Disorders)
- Transitioning of physical therapy patients to a comprehensive exercise setting
- Fitness testing (to include: tests of balance, agility, gait and mobility, upper body and lower body muscular strength and endurance, and cardiovascular endurance)
- Assess vital signs, anthropometric and joint kinematics to determine effect of treatments and/or patient progression.
- Observe patients during treatments to compile and evaluate data on their responses and progress, and provide results to physical therapist in person or through progress notes
- Confer with physical therapy staff or others to discuss and evaluate patient information for planning, modifying, and coordinating treatment
- Administer active and passive manual therapeutic exercises, therapeutic massage, aquatic physical therapy, and heat, light, sound, and electrical modality treatments, such as ultrasound
- Fit patients for orthopedic braces, prostheses, and supportive devices, such as crutches
- Communicate with or instruct caregivers and family members on patient therapeutic activities and treatment plans
- Special projects to include newsletter articles and educational presentations to be delivered through various media
- Experience with processes of intake counseling, exercise prescription, exercise programming/implementation/supervision including progression, and evaluation
- Analysis of exercise outcome including: improvement, compliance, and facility utilization
- Facility/Program daily operation including: staffing, communication, and additional duties such as equipment maintenance and document reproduction.
- Become familiar with the function and operation of laboratory equipment used for subject testing and collection of physiological data
- Assist with current and future research in areas of scheduling, participant, interviewing, data collection, data reduction, and data analysis.
- Design and carryout an original research project in the area of APK which involves the collection and analysis of data to test a specific hypothesis.
- Assist with grant writing
- Research and literature reviews