Practicum experience credit hours were created to provide Applied Physiology and Kinesiology majors with hands-on experience in their field of study. Practicum students maintain a part-time workload in a setting appropriate to their specialization. This practical experience provides students an opportunity to apply knowledge and skills attained in class to actual experiences.
Approved practicum sites are:
1) Dept of Aginig and Geriatric Research
Health Promotion Center and Aging
and Rehabilitation Research Center
Dr. Anna Gardner
2) Oak Hammock’s fitness center
Mr. Justin Smith
Two practicum students per term (space available)
3) UF Health Fitness and Wellness Center
Mr. Traye McGehee
For each credit hour registered, you must complete a minimum of 48 clock hours of practical experience. The number of clock hours to be completed is to be determined PRIOR to the end of registration (drop/add week). You will not be permitted to change the number of credit hours if the number of hours worked is greater than or less than the number of hours required. Retroactive credit for hours performed in a prior semester will not be approved, per department policy.
Practicum Approval Process:
- Find an APK faculty member willing to supervise your practicum experience.
- Complete practicum contract with signatures of site supervisor and APK faculty supervisor. (Students are required to provide a copy of the Professional Liability Insurance when submitting the contract.).
- Submit all materials to Lori Gibbs, room 190E Florida Gym no later than the first day of classes.
- When the contract is approved, you will be given departmental permission to register for the course. The section number will be provided to you. It is your responsibility to register for the course prior to the semester’s drop/add deadline.
Departmental consent to register for a practicum will be granted after all paperwork has been submitted and approved. Once permission to register has been entered into the registration system, the Course Section number will be provided to you. It is your responsibility to register for the course prior to the semester’s drop/add deadline.
Early Termination of Practicum:
Should you desire to drop the practicum course after registration (drop/add week), you must provide signed consent from your site supervisor indicating approval to discontinue the practicum (letter). Because early termination might adversely affect the practicum site, the site and your faculty supervisor reserve the right to deny your request to discontinue the practicum. Failure to complete practicum duties will result in a grade penalty.
Requirements & Grading:
You are responsible for submitting the Midterm and Final Evaluations by their due dates. These forms are to be completed by your site supervisor and submitted by the indicated deadline. Other requirements (daily log, paper, etc.) will be determined and assigned by your faculty supervisor. Upon completion of your practicum hours, your faculty supervisor will determine your final grade with the help of the evaluations from your site supervisor and other assigned requirements.
|Please submit the completed practicum contract and evaluations to:|
|APK Undergraduate Practicum|
|Attn: Lori Gibbs, Senior Secretary|
|P.O. Box 118205|
|Florida Gym, Room 190E|
|Gainesville, FL 32611-8205|
|Phone: (352) 294-1706|
|Fax: (352) 392-5262|